Tips to get to the conference venue
You will most probably arrive either at the Airport (Bordeaux-Mérignac) or the train station (Bordeaux):
- from the airport
- Taxi from airport directly to the conference venue at Arcachon (costs around 100-150 EUR depending on the number of people and the size of the taxi – takes around 45 minutes). It is better to book your taxi in advance. For more details, go to Transfert Bordeaux-Mérignac Airport <-> Arcachon.
- Bus shuttle (Bordeaux airport navette shuttle) from the airport to Bordeaux train station (connection every 45 minutes – trip takes around 30 minutes). Costs around 7€: pay cash to the driver or get your ticket online. Then take a train from Bordeaux train station to Arcachon (Costs around 12€ – takes 50 minutes). Timetables are available here from page 3. Buy your train ticket to Arcachon using self service machines at Bordeaux train station or directly at the counter in Bordeaux train station.
- Taxi from the airport to either Bordeaux train station (cost around 50€ – takes around 30 minutes) or Pessac train station (cost around 25€ – takes 15 minutes). Most trains from Bordeaux to Arcachon make a stop in Pessac. Then–>train from Bordeaux (or Pessac) station to Arcachon (Cost around 12€ – takes 50 minutes). Timetables are available here from page 3. Note that it may be more convenient to go by Taxi to Pessac train station when coming from Bordeaux airport (see the map here)
- from Bordeaux train station
- Take the train from Bordeaux train station to Arcachon (Cost around 12€ – takes 50 minutes). Timetables are available here from page 3.
France’s unit of currency is the Euro. Coins have values of 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, and 50 cents, 1 € and 2 €. Notes have a value of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, and 500 €. Foreign currency can easily be exchanged at banks and exchange counters, for example at the airport. Visa, Master Card, Maestro, and Cirrus are accepted by most shops and restaurants.
Electricity is supplied at 230 volts, 50 hertz, which most small adapters (for laptops and mobile phones) from anywhere in the world are compatible with, although checking for this on the adapter before plugging in is recommended.
All displayed prices include taxes (generally VAT of 22%), and service is always included in restaurants and bars, so tipping is not mandatory in France. However, if you receive excellent service, tipping around 10% or more will certainly be appreciated.
Banks are generally open Monday to Friday 9.00 – 12.00 and 14.00 – 18:00
Weather and Beaches
The climate in Arcachon is typically mild. In May and June temperatures are approximately from 20°C to 25°C.
There are plenty of beaches in the Arcachon bay which are sheltered from the waves…great for children !
If you travel a little bit further south or north from Arcachon, there are several large lakes set amid pine forests.
Just one word of caution about the coastline (south of Arcachon bay): the tide can be fierce in places – great for surfers and skimboarders.